Sightseeing in Lemgo Sightseeing in Lemgo

Besides the 800 years of history Lemgo also has to offer more than 400 monuments. Today Lemgo is internationally renown for its first-class, modern architecture.

 

Junkerhaus

The Junkerhaus in Lemgo

In 1889, eight years after his return to Lemgo, Karl Junker handed in the building plans for approval. Presumably he already started working on the plans years before. He even had built a very detailed wooden model. The structural work for the double storey carcass building with its quarry stone base was finished in 1891. The details with its opulent and fancy wooden carvings took Karl Junker many more years though. Up to his death Karl Junker lived mostly withdrawn from public live in this house which many times is described as a piece of art.

 

Hexenbürgermeisterhaus

The Hexenbürgermeisterhaus in Lemgo

 

The „Hexenbürgermeisterhaus“ is one of the oldest city museums in Ostwestfalen-Lippe. Its claddings originating from 1571 make it an extraordinary example for the architectural style of the Weserrenaissance. Despite many changes of its interior, the structure of an old middle-class house (hall with fireplace und lateral buildings, cellar and attic) has been maintained.

The name „Hexenbürgermeisterhaus“  is in remembrance of the jurist and mayor Hermann Cothmann. During his term as mayor he made himself well known for being a reckless witch hunter. The museum exhibits quite a few instruments of torture. These are remains from the family Clauss / Clausen who were the executioners in that time.

 

Schloß Brake

Castle Brake

From 1587 the castle was extended in the Renaissance style to become the residence for the count of Lippe. The foundation walls derive from one of the oldest medieval castles in the north of Germany and are surrounded by a moat. Due to its prominent tower it can be seen from far away. Therefore it has become the landmark  ofthe hanseatic town of Lemgo. Today the buildings close to the castle including a demesne, three historical mills and a washhouse, still give the impression of a modern residence.

Alter Markt

Marketplace

Even in the days of the Hanseatic Lemgo was a vibrant city. Lemgo is that it hassurvived to this day, which is obtained on Wednesdays and Saturdays at the weekly market Lemgoer an impression, enlivened with his appeal to the marketplace.

??

Oil mill

Mill history from 1846 to today is shown lovingly in two Braker Castle mills of the former miller's family. The oil mill of 1806, driven by a water wheel is obtained as theonly one of its kind still in full. In the former sawmill in 1831, an exhibition on thehistory and function of the castle mills is shown. The production and use of energy(vegetable oil, petroleum, gas and electricity), the processing of flax and the testimonies of the Müller family Vietmeier, including experiences, especially the two world wars, are vividly presented.

Kanzlerbrunnen

Chancellor wells

An important personage, who comes from Osnabrück and has indeed acquired lip, but hardly in Lemgo merits, is presented anyway because she is one of the most popularphoto subjects Lemgos, has already shaken hands with many visitors and will continue to tirelessly welcome Dr. Balthasar Knaust, chancellor of Count Simon VI. He is not to overlook among the 5 bronze figures with which the Aachen sculptor BonifaceStirnberg in 1977 provided the Registrar fountain at Ostertor to illustrate the"controversy over the barrel" (with precious Minden Bräuhahn beer) as vividly as possible.